So you’re getting, or have already got, an Oculus Quest for Christmas. Good for you. You’ve been good all year, and it is now paying dividends. Or, you’ve been a little brat the entire year but you’ve bought yourself a headset from all the lunch money you stole. Hustle is hustle.
To get the most out of your Oculus Quest, you’re going to want to know a few things, hence this short series of guides, the first of which is how to sideload free games onto your Oculus Quest.
- First, you’ll want to download SideQuest onto your computer. You can get the program for free here.
- Then, you need to set your Oculus Quest into developer mode. To this, you need to set up an organisation on the Oculus website. You can do that here. It’s really easy and you just need to fill in a few of the fields.
- Once you’ve submitted your ‘organisation’ you’re ready to turn on developer mode using the Oculus App on your smartphone/tablet.
- To do this, open the Oculus App on your smartphone/tablet. Make sure you have Bluetooth enabled on your device to connect to your Oculus Quest. Then go to Settings and select your headset. If it is paired with your phone’s/tablet’s Bluetooth, it should appear here. Then go to ‘More Settings’ and enable ‘Developer Mode’.
- Voila, you are now in developer mode.
- Next, boot up SideQuest on your computer and connect your Oculus Quest headset via a USB-C cable. You can use the one that comes with your headset, or any ordinary cable you have lying around, such as a phone charger cable.
- Now, all you need to do is browse the SideQuest program to find apps that you are interested in, then click ‘Install’ on the app’s store page. The app will then download straight to your Oculus Quest headset and install itself. Make sure you do not unplug your Oculus Quest headset during this process as it will cancel the download and installation.
- Once the app is downloaded and installed, you can find it on your Oculus Quest. Unplug your headset from your computer, put the Quest on your head and then navigate to ‘Library’ and then ‘Unknown Sources’. If everything has gone correctly, you’ll find the app you’ve downloaded here. Simply select it with your controller and play. Easy!