Unless you’ve been living under a virtual rock, you’ve probably heard at least a few words on Stress Level Zero’s latest action-adventure game Boneworks. The number of teasers and trailers that this game has generated is remarkable, and it has effectively raised the hype to astronomical heights.
In the world of VR gaming, Boneworks looks to be the first game in a wave of “next-generation” titles that aims to expand on what we’ve come to expect in a virtual reality gaming experience. I’m not exactly sure what a “next-generation” VR game is, but I think it might start with some of these features:
- Advanced Physics: Designed entirely for consistent universal rules, the advanced physics mechanics encourage players to confidently and creatively interact with the virtual world however you want.
- Combat: Approach combat in any number of ways you can think of following the physical rules of the game’s universe. Melee weapons, firearms, physics traps, environments, can all be used to aid you in fights with enemy entities.
- Weapons, lots of weapons: Boneworks provides players with a plethora of physics-based weaponry; guns, swords, axes, clubs, spears, hammers, experimental energy weapons, nonsensical mystery tools, and anomalous physics weapons.
- Interaction: Hyper-realistic VR object and environment interaction.
- Story: Play through the game’s mysterious narrative and explore the deep inner workings of the Monogon Industries’ artificial intelligence operating system; Myth OS.
- Character Bodies: Accurate full IK body systems built from the ground up provide a realistic-looking body presence and allow for a maximum level of immersion with physical interaction in the game space.
At this point, it’s probably impossible for Boneworks to live up to its massive hype, but in a few short hours (10 AM PST) we will all find out. Check back soon for our review of this highly anticipated title.